Monday, February 07, 2005

In the closet

My rubber has always been concealed from neighbours, friends, business associates, and relatives. This is a paradox considering how much I like showing off in rubber as I have written before.

I have indeed a busy and full vanilla life although I live on my own and have no one close to me to be hurt by or object to my conduct. Yet I do not want to upset a network of relationships important to me. I wonder what their reaction would be if they saw me in my outdoor gear of black SBR mack over belted catsuits with open-faced hood, boots and big gloves? Amazement no doubt. How would affect they way they treated me afterwards in vanilla gear? A great deal I am sure.

Like many things, I suspect seeing people in rubber is something to get used to. In any town the local harmless eccentrics are familiar and harmless. I have taken to wearing highly-polished rubber (not plastic) wellington boots with black chinos etc. when shopping etc. In Winter this has become the way people are used frequently to seeing me. Women undoubtedly find them intriguing and comment with approval on the polish. In summer it will look more odd, but not surprising.

Next, I shall try wearing a SBR mack on wet days with my boots, and that will again become familiar, and after a bit even on dry and sunny days provoke only the occasional word of surprise. What though will people say behind my back? How many of them will know enough to attribute any sexual significance to my habit? Or feel something without knowing why? They will not however I am sure regard me as dangerous.

That seems far enough for me to venture, though perhaps close friends may in time be allowed to know that I do enjoy my gear and might on occasion wear more. Ideally one does not want to be deceitful, and to have the constant danger of being caught out and surprising everybody instead of easing them into the idea gently about which I speculate.

To be able to answer the door fully rubbered (a shock though still for strangers unused to such habits), and to go out in full gear without fear of observation sounds attractive but I do not think it can be done witrh sacrificing one's social place, not status, but all the intimacies with old friends. Wider social occasions with both friends and strangers present have their dress code, even if not white tie and tails, and a participant must conform.

So you see I am restless in my closet.

Blackie.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blackie said...

No one has commented on my problems and plans! How do I get people to read this?

10:17 PM  
Blogger Sealed said...

My experience has been that lots of people read, but only a small % actually post a comment. I think this is probably natural, as often I read other's avidly blogs and yet am reluctant to comment because I don’t think I have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion at that point…

On the other hand, as a blogger, I like to see people posting comments on my blog (assuming they are relevant) and love it when they say they get something out of reading the blog. So, to all those who read this or other blogs, I think we all owe it to the blogger to contribute something, however small, to blogs that we follow….

Now, back on subject, I have found the questions you have raised very interesting. The issue of others perception is one I am interested in. I am no exhibitionist, but feel it unfortunate that I predict that many people would be shocked and upset to see me “dress” the way I feel I want to (total rubber enclosure). Although I don’t overtly wear rubber outside much, I think it a shame that I feel like I am hiding something.

Why do I feel I have to be a closet rubberiest? Why do I care what others think? Do I feel ashamed that wearing rubber feels good and makes me happy? All good questions which we may address along the road. But for now I would like to thank people like Blackie for gently pushing back the limits of acceptability an inch or two.

In general terms, I think we are living in times wear acceptance of other peoples individuality is growing. 30 or 40 years ago, being anything other than 100% hetro was unacceptable (and illegal in some countries). 40 or 50 years ago, a man having long hair was perceived as odd – bordering on suspicious! Today, the culture in many countries has accepted that not everyone is the same and some legal systems have made it illegal to discriminate against people based on sexual persuasion (or race, gender etc). So, if that’s the way the winds blowing then maybe, as more people are seen wearing something that little bit more fetishistic, just maybe there will be glacially slow take up of a more accepting attitude and we will gain the freedom from the prison of mundane clothing that we all deserve.

I guess someone will have to be the champions of this cause and take the inevitable flack and derision. We know we will be proved to be totally acceptable, sane and safe people in the long term – but which ones will be brave enough to start the ball rolling? I think the young fetishists of the future will owe them much respect.

Sealed

10:21 AM  
Blogger Blackie said...

You are quite right Sealed - we should comment on the blogs we read otherwise people do not know they are reaching anybody at all.

There are two issues for me personally: first the acceptability of fetish rubber wear in public. There I am willing to push the limits - that gives me a kick. It may also ease the path of others. Public wearing of rubber is rare. It is very very seldom that I have seen even an SBR mack worn by other people - yet many are sold all the time.

I remain ignorant about the way people react to me when I am in rubber gear, particularly those who appear not to notice anything unusual. Those to whom I speak do not seem to see any sexual connotation in my rubber gear.

I have not met any hostility from people presuming I am gay, which I am not. I am however very careful to avolid times and places where 'queer-bashers' may be about.

I may say I have no problem with gay rubberists, and quite enjoy being groped, but nothing serious.

My second problem is about my friends and contacts, who are many and varied.

ALthough I live alone and have no close relations, I am not willing to break all these social connections which I have after all spent a lifetime building up. I enjoy company, particularly women's company - nowadays no more than that - and although I do not mind being thought eccentric, no more than that.

If my fetish would cut me off from my friends and other contacts I would not display it. Having said that, I wonder whether there is a tipping point as Dark says when rubber takes over and normal judgement disappears.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blackie! I'm reading this too.

About how to get people to visit your blog, I would strongly recommends that you exchanged links with some, if not all, of the other latex themed blogs online.

Check out www.blogrolling.com they can help you manage your links.

I have added your blog to mine, so you just go ahead and add mine to yours too.

Rubber regards

3xL

www.lustlovelatex.com

12:20 AM  
Blogger Blackie said...

Thanks Anonymous - will do.

Blackie

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home